Want to schedule an appointment?

What should I do?

For patients who currently have amalgam fillings which in good condition and there is no decay beneath the filling, we do not recommend that you have your amalgam fillings removed or replaced unnecessarily. Removing sound amalgam fillings can result in unnecessary loss of healthy tooth structure and may expose you to additional mercury vapor released during the removal process. However, it is important to understand that failing amalgam restorations can pose significant health risks regardless of whether there is mercury release or not, such as recurrent tooth decay, infection, tooth fracture and eventual tooth loss if left untreated.

If you believe that you may have an allergy or sensitivity to mercury or any of the other metals in dental amalgam (such as silver, tin, or copper), or if you have amalgam fillings that have been in your mouth for many years, you should consult with your dentist to have them evaluated and discuss possible treatment options.

When removing an amalgam filling, exposure to mercury vapor is a risk. At FLOSS we strictly adhere to specific protocols for safely removing amalgam fillings to reduce patient and staff exposure to mercury vapors.

Comments are closed.